We have a lot of information to share with you about cannabis law reform in KCMO and Missouri and how you can get involved.
NORML KC’s January chapter meeting with local neurologist Dr. Matthew Markert was extremely well attended! The doctor showed an informative powerpoint presentation filled with facts and data. He gave us a glimpse into how the minds of doctors work and what types of scientific studies are still needed to advance the cause of cannabis as a medical treatment. The only way these doctors can thoroughly study cannabis as medicine is for it to be legal.
Our chapter is supporting the legalization of medical cannabis in Missouri by hosting New Approach Missouri petitioner trainings to teach volunteers how to gather signatures correctly and how to effectively advocate for this healing plant. Our next volunteer trainings in the KC Metro area are:
- Sunday, February 12th at 7PM we are hosting a NAM petitioner training event in Lee’s Summit at Tiff and Jay’s. RSVP and get more details here.
- This Valentine’s Day we are hosting the NAM and NORML KC Lonely Heart’s Petitioner Training and Notary Event at 6PM at Tapcade. RSVP here.
- There will be more trainings coming up soon. Be sure to follow NORML KC and New Approach Missouri on Facebook for the latest info.
In addition to the petitioner trainings, we are hosting several fundraising social events in support of NAM in February and March, along with a Bingo Fundraiser in support of our NORML KC chapter, and a Game Night Fundraiser in support of Project 22.
- Sunday, February 19th at Side Pockets in Blue Springs we have a Bingo Fundraiser in support of NORML KC. There will be raffle prizes from local businesses and awesome food and drink specials. Bring your friends! RSVP here.
- Friday, March 24th at Opera House KC, starting at 5PM and going until 9PM, we are hosting a Game Night Fundraiser with Level One Game in support of Missouri Veterans educational program Project 22. Project 22 is raising funds to send 22 MO veterans to CO to attend an educational conference at the Colorado State University- Pueblo. Encourage your friends to join you in playing fun games like Cards Against Humanity and Stoner Fluxx while contributing to this important cause. RSVP here. Learn more about Project 22 by watching this short video.
These social events will be a lot of fun and a great way to get to know the activists working hard alongside you to bring MO patients much needed relief. Please share these events with your friends and online via social media to help this cause reach the largest possible audience. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of those who are suffering and in need of medical relief.
Learn more about some of the patients in Missouri who desperately need access to legal medical cannabis by visiting The Missouri Patient Project.
Our next chapter meeting will be held on Saturday, February 25th, 3PM at the Westport Branch Public Library, with special guest speakers from The League of Women Voters. The League of Women Voters will teach us what it will take to get people registered and out to vote for our local cannabis decriminalization initiative on April 4th, and in support of the NAM medical bill on the November 8th ballot (once it reaches the required amount of signatures for placement).
The brother of NORML KC and NAM activist Adam Johnston will also be speaking at our February meeting. Adam tragically passed away recently and his life possibly could have been prolonged if he had safe and legal access to medical cannabis.
NORML KC takes advocating for cannabis law reform very seriously, and one of our most important jobs is to educate our lawmakers about the need for reform. One of those opportunities is coming up soon:
- Tuesday, February 28th, at 10AM is the statewide Missouri NORML Lobby Day in Jefferson City. NORML KC will be attending. Contact us for more information and to plan rides. You are the experts they need to hear from.
We also support law reform for hemp – which has industrial use as a fiber, biodegradable plastic, fuel, food, and more, but which is still illegal to grow in Missouri simply due to it being in the same family as the cannabis plant. National NORML, MO NORML, and Show-Me-Cannabis board member and activist Dan Viets recently attended a hearing in Jefferson City in support of two hemp bills introduced to the Missouri House Agriculture Committee. One of those bills, HB 170 was approved and is headed to the House Rules Committee. To learn more read the article here.
Be sure to save the date for March 3rd and 4th for the Missouri NORML and Show Me Cannabis Spring Conference with New Approach Missouri fundraiser, hosted by NORML KC. The day of the conference, March 3rd, will be a full day of informative talks from health care providers, including Dr. Markert, and activists around the nation. More details coming soon!
Thank you for your continued support in local activism. We couldn’t do it without you! To volunteer, donate, and purchase cool NORML KC themed t-shirts, click here.